Waitomo Glowworm Caves
Waitomo Glowworm Caves
The Waitomo Glowworm Caves attraction is a cave at Waitomo on the North Island of New Zealand. It is known for its population of Arachnocampa luminosa, a glowworm species found exclusively in New Zealand.
HighlightsWaitomo Glowworm Caves
Terms and Conditions
Click here for the full
Enjoy a 3.5km courtesy scenic shuttle to our cave while your experienced guide reveals the rich history of Waitomo. Then, take a short walk through breath taking New Zealand native bush to the cave entrance.
There, your guide lights the candles setting the scene for an intimate cave experience, where you will see glowworms up close, cave formations up close and appreciate the beauty of Footwhistle Cave (also known to local maori as Te Anaroa Cave). The solar powered lights are kept low so you can appreciate the magnificent glow worm displays at their best, only inches away. Around a corner lie the bones of one of New Zealand's lost treasures, the ancient Moa. The soothing sound of Footwhistle cave stream flows in the darkness below. Formation lights are especially turned on to cast a warm glow over stunning cave formations. The guide tells the stories of the insect life that live here - titiwai, the glow worm, and tuna, the eel. After enjoying a relaxed stroll through the cave, you'll be seated in Footwhistle's Cathedral to see it lit up by a dazzling magnesium torch. Although the display only lasts a few seconds, your memories of the Footwhistle Cave will last a lifetime. Be sure to bring your camera as you will be able to take photos and your guide will also be able to help you out with the best camera settings to get your best holiday pic.
Complete the tour by enjoying a complimentary Kawa Kawa tea whilst you relax in our punga hut nestled in native forest and surrounds.
Duration : 1.5 Hours
Departure Location : 23 Waitomo Village Road.
Departure Time : Every hour from 9am to 5pm.
Departure Dates : All year.
Pace : Sightseeing
Level of fitness required: Easy
What to bring
Comfortable clothes, shoes and your camera.
- Guide, complimentary Kawakawa tea tasting.
- Native forest walk
- Where the date of cancellation is a date 45 days or more before the start of the tour, the cancellation fee will be equivalent to the deposit paid
- Where the date of cancellation is a date 30 to 45 days before the start of the tour the cancellation fee shall be 25% of the contract price
- Where the date of cancellation is a date 7 to 30 days before the start of the tour the cancellation fee shall be 50% of the contract price
- Where the date of cancellation is a date 7 days or less before the start of the tour the cancellation fee shall be 100% of the contract price
Create your custom itinerary
Start planning and create your own custom New Zealand itinerary here: