Wellington is a destination with many superlatives. It is beautifully nestled between bush clad hills and one of the most picturesque harbours in the world, it was named the best city to live in the world in 2017, and it is also one of the windiest cities in the world. But as Wellingtonians say : You can't beat Wellington on a good day, and we certainly have a soft spot for this fantastic city.
Wellington is the nation's centre for arts and culture, with the National Museum Te Papa one of the main icons of the city. The city also contains a plethora of restaurants, cafes, bars, nightlife and activities and is also home to New Zealand's parliament. Due to its compact size it is easy to explore the city on foot.
The region east and northeast of Wellington is also known as the Wairarapa, with wineries in Martinborough and some excellent hiking in the Tararua Ranges. The driving route through the Wairarapa is a mountainous, pleasant alternative to busy State Highway 1.The Wairarapa coast from Palliser Bay to Castlepoint is one of the most remote and intriguing coasts in the North Island.
Things you shouldn't miss in Wellington
- A visit to the National Museum, Te Papa.
- Stroll around Cuba Street and absorb the lively atmosphere.
- Try one of Wellington's many amazing local craft beers.
- For the best view of the city, take a ride up to Mt Victoria.
- See lots of unique birdlife at the Zealandia sanctuary, a great option for families with kids.
- A Lord of the Rings movie tour
- The scenic Wairarapa coast